Thursday, June 6, 2024

Ben Webster - 'At The Renaissance'

Tenor saxophonist, Ben Webster, is considered one of the three most important “swing tenors” along with Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young.  Known affectionately as “The Brute” or “Frog”, he had a tough, raspy, and brutal tone on stomps (with growls), yet on ballads he played with warmth and sentiment.

'At The Renaissance' was recorded live in Hollywood on Oct 14, 1960, but not released until 1985.  Along with Ben on this date are pianist Jimmy Rowles, guitarist Jim Hall, bassist Red Mitchell, and drummer Frank Butler.  The musicianship is consistently wonderful.  Whether showing warmth and sentimentality on "Georgia on My Mind" and "Stardust" or growling and roaring on "Caravan" and "Ole Miss Blues", Ben is in superior and creative form.  Not unlike many of Ben's recordings, this is a great late night listen.

Today's freeload, is the
Analogue Productions limited-edition 24K Gold release disc mastered using all Tube gear, and it sounds sweet.  It also has those "you are there" sonics.

For the freeload, what albums do you play late at night?



22 comments:

  1. Ellington and Coltrane record, Coltrane and Hartman, Melody Gardot's My One and Only Thrill, any of the Gil Evans - Miles Davis albums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the last few years I wake up every morning very early, so late night listening is less frequent.

    However jazz albums have been a late night favourite for a decade or so, so The Atomic Basie or Blues and Roots by Mingus maybe.
    This week however Man (The Welsh Jam Band), Be Good to Yourself at Least Once a Day (1972) and Do You Like It Here Now (1971), wow I’ve not played these albums in a while, both wonderful and I played every track on both vinyl albums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I no longer listen to music in bed - which is where I am late at night - but radio shows from the 30s/40s/50s. Comfort food for the ears. It's been a Fibber McGee And Molly binge for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the shenanigans at 79 Wistful Vista...

      Delete
  4. Not much late night music listening these days, but when I did, I had several go to albums, Kind Of Blue, In A Silent Way & Burnt Weeny Sandwich, also Illusions On A Double Dimple, A Clockwork Orange Soundtrack, Charlie Parker With Strings, & Uncle Meat. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  5. much like pmac above - coltrane, miles, johnny hartman, some jimmy rushing, and maybe a bit of allen toussaint - early joni, and some madeleine peyroux. I gotta get more shuteye

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to have a mixtape that I would play in bed (when my wife was working nightshift of course!) that contained things like Cecil Taylor's "Spring of 2 Blue-J's", Sun Ra's "The Magic City" and some assorted Marion Brown, Derek Bailey and Evan Parker. Off to dreamland for me !!! But, more on topic here, Ben Webster's balladic breath was what first attracted me to his work, and still does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it's "late night listening" like Nick Drake or Cassandra Wilson but listening to almost anything that I like makes me happy and helps me to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Archie Shepp and Dollar Brand - Duet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/HnBXtKVkbcF

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I Could Only Remember My Name - Crosby

    ReplyDelete
  11. I listen to almost anything as I'm dropping off, but I'll go for Rab Noakes : Never too Late. I met him after a gig a few years ago and said this was one of my favourite lps and even he seemed a bit non plussed "Oh no-one ever mentions that one" ! Oh well, "A chacon son gout" as they say round here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a late night one but I can't find the album...
    SOS
    Bat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf-3d63a3Dk

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I lived in a loud dorm at UMass, I listened to Eno's Apollo every night (and got my Deadhead roommate hooked on it). These days if I need to quiet racing thoughts, Time Machines by Coil is my go-to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minutemen unite! (an unfortunate mascot -- I can last at least two minutes!)

      Delete
  14. Beaver & Krause's "Gandharva", Side 2.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Late night listening... really depends on my mood, no favorites I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't have any kind of go-to. Also, I am not a late night person. Slow music comes to mind such as The Deep Listening Band, Sussan Deyhim, Robert Rich, and then chill out, Lamb, Jazzanova, Cinematic Orchestra, and smoky jazz, Mal Waldron perhaps above all, Ben Webster, Jeanne Lee, Jessica Williams...

    ReplyDelete