Wednesday, June 5, 2024

The Definitive Charley Patton

 



‘The Definitive Charley Patton’ is a 3CD set, released on the Catfish label in 2001, and contains all of Patton's originally issued recordings in chronological order, from 1929 to his untimely death in 1934.

  Charley (or "Charlie" as the man himself seemingly insisted) was a Blues pioneer, a raconteur, a country clown, and an extremely popular performer with African-Americans.  He also had an insatiable appetite for cocaine, which back then was legal, and widely available at any pharmacy.



On these recordings, the warmth and skill of Patton's performance never fails to break through and his percussive guitar playing alongside a melodic vocal delivery, less raw than the likes of contemporaries Son House and Blind Willie Johnson, Charley steals the show at every turn.  Widely considered to be a savvy, crowd-pleasing showman who crossed a number of stylistic boundaries when performing live, Patton's recorded works are largely rooted in the blues, presumably for commercial reasons, but he nonetheless keeps his options open by attempting to appeal to as wide an audience as possible through the subject of his songs.  For instance, a handful of sanctified numbers such as "Lord, I'm Discouraged", "Jesus Is A Dying-Bed Maker" and "I'm Goin' Home" are included to reach out to church-going folks while Patton's own habit of cocaine use and womanizing are documented in the likes of "A Spoonful Blues" and the innuendo-laden "Shake It And Break It (But Don't Let It Fall Mama)" respectively.  Elsewhere, Patton's signature tune "Pony Blues" and the two-part document of the devastating Mississippi flood of 1927 "High Water Everywhere" cement Patton's standing as one of the true greats.



Catfish Records did a nice job with the audio, but despite being “digitally remastered,” the sound quality is undoubtedly poor, and it's easy to see why deciphering Patton's lyrics has been a frustrating task for blues historians over the years.  Sadly, like other record companies during the Great Depression, Paramount Records sold most of its master recordings as scrap metal, while some of the company's recordings were said to have been thrown into the Milwaukee River by disgruntled employees when the company was closing in the mid-1930s.  It's also important to remember that these 78s were subpar even for their time: cheaply made and poorly recorded, but were reasonably priced for African-Americans with very little disposable income.  Due to its use of cheap materials and inferior equipment, Paramount has become virtually synonymous with poor sound.  Paramount Records was an offshoot of the Wisconsin Chair Company, created in 1917 to help sell the phonographs the furniture company built.  It was very similar to Apple creating iTunes in order to sell iPods.  Paramount was incredibly influential in its 15-year run.


For the freeload, tell us 
about songs you misheard the lyrics to.


21 comments:

  1. Like many Canadians, we had French classes starting in elementary school. It wasn't until a few years ago (I'm now in my 8th decade, do I get a trophy?) that I realized that a phrase near the start of the folk song "Alouette" was actually "gentil alouette", not "chantez alouette". Don't get me started on misheard English lyrics on AM radio from all of the stars of the 60's...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I misheard a lot of lyrics from the very beginning, when I was 11 or 12 and listening to AM top 40. I don't think that it was bad hearing as much as bad mixing and mastering. I remember encountering a lot of badly mastered 45s.
    One example I remember was in the Four Seasons hit Sherrie. Just before Frankie Valli sings "Girl, you'll make me lose my mind" he sings "Move it nice and easy". I always heard it as "Move them dice and levers" and thought "Huh???" every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phantom of The Rock OperaJune 5, 2024 at 11:04 PM

    For Years I thought the first line of Paint It Black was:

    "I see a radio and I want to paint it black'

    when of course the line is:

    'I see a red door and I want to paint it black'.

    I've just listened to the song again and the line is repeated 3 times and the first two times it sounds like 'readyo'. For some reason when Jagger sings the line for a third time his pronunciation is clear and does say 'Red Door'. It's weird.

    Beyond that as a kid I got in trouble with my parents for singing O-Bla-di, O-Bla-Da coz that they thought I was cursing and I always preferred to think Errol Brown of Hot Chocolate used to sing "I believe in "Mirror-coils" at the beginning of 'You Sexy Thing' instead of "Miracles". To this day I have no idea what a "mirror-coil" is. Although according to good old DuckDuckGo a 'miracoil' is a type of bed spring, so perhaps Errol was celebrating his mattress!

    Such are the idiosyncracies of the relationship between my temporal and frontal lobes......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought this would be right up my alley. But right now I can't think of a song. Besides "There's a Bad Moon on the Rise" even Fogerty now sings "Bathroom on the Right" so the joke is over. Whenever I couldn't understand the words I would substitute the word "Toothpaste". To this day when my brother doesn't understand a lyric he will look at me and say, "toothpaste".

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12znCPrMyZE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manfred Mann cover of Springsteen's Blinded By The Light - misheard lyric- wrapped up like a douche! Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  7. The rosy red cheeks of the Lincolnshire men

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the Beatles were singing "I get high" instead of "I can't hide" on 'I Want to Hold Your Hand'.

    ReplyDelete
  9. B52's "Strobe Light". I thought he wanted to "make love under the sofa, Love". I have since gotten better speakers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/MV6dgkLWVb6

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder what a master AI tech like Dae Lims could make of these recordings. Yes, I know all the ethical arguments, and what a travesty it would be, sacrilege, and how all the original atmosphere would be lost etc. but still - that crackle and hiss wasn't in his voice or his playing. If AI could replicate the experience of sitting in front of the guy, it would be less of a sacrilege than what Paramount did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago there was a box set reissue of some of Louis Armstrong's recordings with the Hot Five, remastered from 78's. I had a magazine with an article detailing how it was done, using many copies of each record to search out the cleanest sections of each, sometimes only a few seconds at a time.
      Custom made styli were used to adjust for the non-standardized disc manufacturing. The result was clean sounding and had the best fidelity possible.
      I gave the article to a friend (who worked in film restoration!!!) and he came back with all that crap about the original intent being lost, etc.
      Sigh.

      Delete
    2. Here’s Pristine Audio's Charley Patton compilation titled 'Dirt Road Blues’, which is divisive among many Blues collectors, due to Pristine's "XR" remastering. It does however have the least amount of "snap crackle and pop"

      I'll let Pristine Audio explain:
      "XR remastering was developed by Andrew Rose in early 2007 and has been in continual development and refinement ever since. Its aim is to go much further than simply “cleaning up” old recordings, using cutting edge technology and innovative, proven techniques to get as close as possible to the original sound heard in the concert hall or recording studio before it was corrupted by early recording equipment.
      
It starts with what has been termed elsewhere “tonal balancing”.  Most of the microphones used to make historic recordings (and even more so the horns used in acoustic recordings) had very uneven frequency responses. We use advanced computer analysis of the tonal content of these recordings to “reverse engineer” and counter the impact of those tonal distortions. This results in a much more natural and realistic sounding recording, limited only by the other constraints of the original source (frequency range, noise levels etc.)"


      So I emailed a low friend in a high place at Blue Note Records and asked him, his thoughts on Pristine's XR remastering. This was his (edited) reply:
      "They can embellish it with a clever a set of words all they want, but anything that reverse engineers is a fabrication and thus not the original recording anymore. It is a synthetic re-creation based on elements of the original recording, but in effect no different from a totally computer-generated simulation that is made to sound almost identical to an original recording but in fact using all newly generated audio signals. It is exactly what purely A.I. created music is going to be touted as; better than anything any human could ever be capable of creating.  They have to sell the idea that A.I. is superior and this is how that will be accomplished. We are inferior, and that is all there is to that."

      So there you have it (I like how angry he gets in the last two sentences!)



      https://workupload.com/file/4HrTMKQwXJN

      Delete
    3. People used to tell me cassette tape sounded awful, granted sometimes it did (on a cheap player), usually in my experience it was great ‘to my ears’. CDs had a better and cleaner sound, maybe sometimes, but usually my records sounded better. Remastered Cds were rarely worth buying, just slightly different, and when the novelty wears off, meh!.
      If it sounds good to me I’m happy - some of FT3’s ‘stopped on’ mp3s at the IOF where splendid.

      Delete
    4. You could argue that electrical recording - of any type - is adding a level of inauthenticity to a performance. Well, I could, and do. Sitting in the same room as (say) Charley Patton and listening to him perform is the direct, true experience. Hearing that performance filtered through a bunch of cold, soul-less electrical recording equipment and spat out through a speaker somewhere else entirely is something else. Entirely. No matter how good the equipment, how "accurate" the process, you're listening to an artificial event removed from the truth. We convince ourselves we're listening to Charley Patton but we're not - it's a bunch of very clever electronic engineering deluding us into believing it's his voice and playing, right here and now. So AI to me is no big ethical deal at all. Just depends on the sound. "Authenticity" is a non-issue.

      Delete
    5. This is correct. When I was a kid and I was first reading the hi-fi magazines their position was that the objective of hi-fi was to reproduce the experience of live classical music in a concert hall. I immediately recognized that this was completely irrelevant to me, because I listened to music made on electric instruments, singers with processed or multitracked vocals and psychedelic effects of various kinds on all of it. All of this recorded on studios with 16 or more tracks and mixed after the fact.
      Babs, thank you for the XR version of Charley Patton.

      Delete
    6. "... If AI could replicate the experience of sitting in front of the guy...."
      Many years ago (but unforgettably) I heard a scrap of interview with one of the blues musicians who knew Patton (Son House?) who said, "You could be right there at his feet and not understand a word he was singing."

      Delete
  12. Louie Louie...oh-whoa, we gotta go (where I never quite figured out)

    ReplyDelete
  13. fyi, that wuz my 2 cents worth tonight.

    ReplyDelete