The cover of Nina's 'Little Girl Blue' was taken in Manhattan's Central Park in 1959, near Central Park South (59th Street).
That exact spot brings back a very cool memory. So let’s take a trip down memory lane to 1974. My husband Jerry and I along with Denise "The Grease" and her then boyfriend "Little Benny", went to Carnegie Hall to see Gregg Allman.
Inside Carnegie Hall waiting for the show to start the people next to us lit a joint and passed it to us, "The Grease" sparked one up, and we passed it to them, and we started talking. Jerry had a bottle Jack Daniel’s he smuggled in, and we shared it all round. They were very nice people and told us there was going to an after party in Central Park at midnight at the benches by the duck pond that faces the bridge. This was a popular spot I knew well, and five-minute or so walk from Carnegie Hall on West 57th Street.
I should point out, unlike today, Central Park in 1974 reflected the severe economic and fiscal crises of New York City. It was unkempt, graffiti was everywhere, heroin was openly sold, it became even more dangerous after dark and the NYPD didn’t bother patrolling it.
After Gregg’s show we went to nearby bar, to kill time before the after party. When arrived at the party it was underway, there were cans of beer in coolers, a constant stream of joints being passed around, someone even brought a charcoal grill and was cooking hotdogs and hamburgers. The festivities went on till around 3AM. These were the very last days of "Hippie New York". Every time I see Nina Simone’s 'Little Girl Blue' I think back to that night.
I should point out, unlike today, Central Park in 1974 reflected the severe economic and fiscal crises of New York City. It was unkempt, graffiti was everywhere, heroin was openly sold, it became even more dangerous after dark and the NYPD didn’t bother patrolling it.
After Gregg’s show we went to nearby bar, to kill time before the after party. When arrived at the party it was underway, there were cans of beer in coolers, a constant stream of joints being passed around, someone even brought a charcoal grill and was cooking hotdogs and hamburgers. The festivities went on till around 3AM. These were the very last days of "Hippie New York". Every time I see Nina Simone’s 'Little Girl Blue' I think back to that night.
'Little Girl Blue' (subtitled Jazz as Played in an Exclusive Side Street Club) is Nina's 1959 debut album. Recorded in late 1957
for the Bethlehem Records label, the album beautifully showcases her distinctive
blend of classical piano technique, jazz improvisation, and soulful
vocal phrasing. It includes her first major chart hit, "I Loves You,
Porgy", along with the timeless classic "My Baby Just Cares For Me".
The freeload is a 24bit/174.4kHz SACD rip of the Analogue Productions reissue from 2015
Little did we know that night at Carnegie Hall, the show was recorded, and parts of it would be released as 'The Gregg Allman Tour' later in 1974.
For this tour, Gregg Allman deviated from the usual Allman Brothers Band lineup. He was accompanied by a 24-piece orchestra, along with the band Cowboy, a Capricorn label-mate who had been a personal favorite of his late brother, Duane Allman.
Originally released as a double LP, the album blends Southern rock, Blues, R&B, honky-tonk, and Gospel music.
The freeload is a sweet sounding, remastered limited edition SHM-CD, that was reissued for the Japanese domestic market (a "JDM" to music collectors) in 2008.
If Nina and Gregg made an album together, I'll bet it would have been a pretty cool Jazzy Bluesy affair.
For the freeload name a male and female artist living or deceased, who you think should or should have collaborated on an album.
For this tour, Gregg Allman deviated from the usual Allman Brothers Band lineup. He was accompanied by a 24-piece orchestra, along with the band Cowboy, a Capricorn label-mate who had been a personal favorite of his late brother, Duane Allman.
Originally released as a double LP, the album blends Southern rock, Blues, R&B, honky-tonk, and Gospel music.
The freeload is a sweet sounding, remastered limited edition SHM-CD, that was reissued for the Japanese domestic market (a "JDM" to music collectors) in 2008.
If Nina and Gregg made an album together, I'll bet it would have been a pretty cool Jazzy Bluesy affair.
For the freeload name a male and female artist living or deceased, who you think should or should have collaborated on an album.




.jpg)
Saw that Allman tour, too. Especially liked the symphonic version of Dreams that Allman did.
ReplyDeleteSort of a take on the Joni Mitchell - Mingus collaboration, I would have loved to see her do a collaboration with Howlin' Wolf.
Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Jimi Hendrix were said to have jammed together after hours in London. There was talk of doing some recording, but that apparently never happened. I still like to fantasize that somewhere there'll be a box unearthed with a tape in it…
ReplyDeleteYep, that would have made for a wonder male and female collaboration...
DeleteActually it was Kirk & Clapton and various other luminaries, Glen Campbell (not that one) etc. Didn't gel at all. Kirk said "let's start with a blues" and confusion reigned.
DeleteSorry, Babs. I musta read "and" as "or." How about Betty Carter with Bobby McFerrin?
DeleteJim Morrison and Diamanda Galas would have been a hoot.
ReplyDeleteElvis and Dolly, they came that close, but Dries wanted top dollar, and Dolly had to say no.
ReplyDeleteMariah Carey and Jad Fair, now that is what I call "a challenge"
Janis Joplin and Joe Cocker
ReplyDeleteANON RF: Ooh, I like the sound of that!
DeleteTony Bennett and Exene Cervenka
ReplyDeleteTony and Billie Holiday
DeleteBombshelter Slim
Deleteoops, phone's too small. How about Willie Nelson and anybody?
DeleteGood evening, everyone, i can easily picture a somewhat younger Mick Jagger with Rickie Lee Jones or Country Joe McDonald and Janis Joplin, as well as James Brown with Betty Davis.
ReplyDeleteKind regards, Mike
Gene Vincent & Wanda Jackson.
ReplyDeleteGreat story, Nina was/is such a thing (and a hard life), and Greg no slouch and according to a friend I trust, a helluva nice guy, forever haunted by what happened to his brother.
ReplyDeleteThere are so many I can imagine and too many of them would be (too) trite. How about Syd Straw and Michael Stipe (there was that one cut on her 1989 album, "Future 40s (String of Pearls)") or Levon Helm and Carlene Carter (he backed her--and sang some--on her "I Fell in Love" album (1990?)...for that matter, her mama and Hank Williams woulda been an interesting pair. A good friend once had a funny dream where Natalie Merchant showed up to sing with Willie in Austin--I'd go see that now. Last one that HXC and I have joked about: imagine Lamberts, Hendricks & Ross swinging with Ella...and maybe Louie too.
She ripped off a cab driver I knew. A $225.00 ride from San Francisco to Stockton, California. She said she was going into a beauty salon she had him park in front of to get the cash for the fare. When she hadn't returned in about 45 minutes he went in, she wasn't there. Everyone in the lobby said no one had come in. The door to the alley was unlocked. He couldn't really call the cops in the hood.
Deletebleak
DeleteAnother great story! Thanks Babs. How bout St. Vincent & Les Claypool? Or Bonnie Raitt & Rory Gallagher? Ruthie Foster & Joe Ely? Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteCaptain Beefheart and Enya
ReplyDeleteHope Sandoval and Nick Cave
Slim Gaillard and Mahalia Jackson
Julee Cruise and Paul Robeson
Marisa Anderson and John Fahey
Lux Interior and Kim Gordon
Mason Lindahl & Mary Lattimore
Liz Harris (Grouper) & Jesy Fortino (Tiny Vipers)
Flea & Liberace
~Jon in California
Leonard Cohen and Van Morrison
ReplyDeleteMuddy Waters and Mick Taylor
Emmylou Harris and Phil Everley
Don Everley and Richard Thompson
misread male female combo
DeleteRoy Orbison KD Lang
Adele and Solomon Burke
Joni and Sting
Patsy Cline and John Prine
I wish that there was even more of Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson together. Ditto for Emmylou Harris and Gram Parsons. I really enjoy the 1975 "Bootleg Series" album with Dylan and Baez back together.
ReplyDelete...Perhaps I'm too tired to think of a fantasy pairing.
D in California
Link 1
ReplyDeletehttps://www.swisstransfer.com/dl/01a00f76-bbc7-71ba-bb1f-3df85b4b30c0
Link 2
https://www.swisstransfer.com/dl/01a00f7b-b8a3-7007-811d-d0b54168adbc
Given they are such good mates its amazing that Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher have not formally collaborated on an album together. From my previous posts its obvious that's one I would like to have seen and perhaps a Paul Weller / Ray Davies collaboration. Beyond that the one that really got away was Clapton, Page and Beck all formally featuring in a Yardbirds line up together especially given how good friends Page and Clapton were at one point. Thanks for the post Babs.
ReplyDeleteDo any of the above musicians have a vagina?
Deletedetails, details, details...
DeletePretty sure about these ones:
DeleteEnya
Hope Sandoval
Mahalia Jackson
Julee Cruise
Marisa Anderson
Kim Gordon
Mary Lattimore
Liz Harris
Jesy Fortino
Liberace
~Jon (I don't but I've borrowed a few...)