Monday, August 24, 2026

Freddie Hubbard - 'Straight Life'


'Straight Life' was recorded on November 16, 1970, at Van Gelder Studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.  It was engineered Rudy Van Gelder, produced by Creed Taylor, and released on the CTI records label in January 1971.

It's hard to believe this album was recorded in a single session, but the band assembled for 'Straight Life' pretty much explains why: Joe Henderson on sax, George Benson on guitar, Herbie Hancock on piano/keyboards, Ron Carter on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums.

Almost everyone that plays on this album had recorded with Miles Davis at some time or another, and Freddie Hubbard ended up with a monster of an album in incorporating all that talent into one group.

Unlike many slicker CTI productions of the era, 'Straight Life' relies on an unvarnished, high-energy jam-session feel across just three distinct tracks:


1. "Straight Life" was written by Freddie Hubbard.  At seventeen-minutes plus, it took up the first side of the original LP.  This is a high-energy, fast-paced track, with 
all the musicians in top form and turn in inspired solos, especially the spectacular saxophone work from Joe Henderson and George Benson's guitar.

2. "Mr. Clean" is a deep, funk-driven groove written by Weldon Irvine (also worth checking out is Weldon's own version from his album 'Liberated Brother').  Freddie's playing throughout this song is fluid and fiery and continues the rapid fire soloing and mood of track one.

3. "Here’s That Rainy Day"is a melancholic ballad penned by Jimmy Van Heusen and Johnny Burke, has become an American Songbook staple.  This rendition is a sublime duet between Freddie and George Benson.

'Straight Life' is of the finest soul/funk-influenced jazz fusion albums, you'll ever hear.

The freeload is a sweet sounding 24bit/192kHz 180g vinyl rip of a CTI reissue from 2016.  

As an added bonus, I'm adding the aforementioned 
Weldon Irvine's long out of print classic, 'Liberated Brother' from 1972.  If you are unfamiliar with Weldon Irvine a.k.a. "Master Wel", he is more than worth your time.

For the freeload what are your top three jazz fusion albums?

17 comments:

  1. Got a feeling this is going to produce some extremely diverse choices, given how open ended jazz fusion is defined. With that in mind:
    Head Hunters
    Body Heat by Quincy Jones
    Weather Report - Heavy Weather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrust - Herbie Hancock
    Waka/Jawaka - Frank Zappa
    Cross Collateral - Passport
    & many, many more. Limited to 3, this is a good start I think. Also pmac is correct, this will be a fun topic. As always, thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three of my choices are listed here already so I'll go with:
    Jaco Pastorius self titled 1976 release
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior

    ReplyDelete
  4. This'll be a learning experience for me, but from my (very) limited repertoire, two of pmacs, Weather Report: Heavy Weather & Herbie Hancock: Head Hunters; does Miles' Bitches Brew count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Miles' Bitches Brew count? 

      Does Pinocchio have a wooden schwanzschtücker?


      Delete
    2. Uhm, I was asking for a friend...?

      Delete
  5. Emergency! - The Tony Williams Lifetime
    Heavy Weather - Weather Report
    African Marketplace - Abdullah Ibrahim. (I'm not sure this one actually qualifies as being, "fusion." But the term has always seemed a bit squishy to me)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll go with these, that started my love for jazz:

    Bitches Brew
    Headhunters
    Waka Jawaka

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll go with Jack Johnson, Between Nothingness and Eternity, and Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy (Bill Connors!). As usual, subject to change!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vernal Equinox
    Possible Musics - Fourth World Volume 1
    Dream Theory In Malaya - Fourth World Volume 2

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX5HgwtOi68

    all by Jon Hassell

    WARNING: might change your life (it did mine)

    ~Jon in California

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've thought of myself as kind of light on knowledge in this area. But recognizing several titles others suggested (of good albums!) has given me hope that others might recognize these:
    Crystal Silence (Gary Burton/Chick Corea)
    Light As A Feather (Chick Corea/Return To Forever)
    As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls (Pat Metheny/Lyle Mays)

    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a British selection, I had only been interested in music since 1974. In those days the UK only had three TV channels, but in 1977 on a Saturday night was an In Concert show and they featured Bruford (Bill) and also Colosseum II, I bought their albums Feels Good To Me and Electric Savage. Another goodie from 1977, Brand X, Moroccan Roll.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/6wmgTBrn6M3

    ReplyDelete
  12. A part from the evidence (the 70/80!!! so incredinbly rich) I would suggest RH factor from Roy Hargrove, Defunkt, Brandford Marsalis' Budschock Lefonque and Allan Holworth with Bruce and Cobham

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a big fan of jazz-rock and the early years of fusion. At some point the genre morphed into technique for technique's sake and I left it behind. I still enjoy these, so I gues they're favorites;
    Soft Machine - Wolume 2 / Return to Forever - Where Have I Known You Before? / and a toss up between Gong - Gazeuse! [Expresso in the US] and the first coupla Bruford albums. See, I can't do these top whatever lists for shit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This Weldon Irvine album is fantastic! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete