My cataract surgery went well, and my eye is healing nicely. I want to express my deepest gratitude to everyone for their heartfelt wishes and support.
The 2026 Newport Jazz Festival was a blast — so many great acts, so much great music. As always, Newport blended tradition with innovation, as the festival's headliner, Herbie Hancock was a living testament to.
At the1955 Newport Jazz Festival Miles Davis (who was not even listed in the official festival program), played a 23-minute set with an ad-hoc group featuring Thelonious Monk on piano, Gerry Mulligan on baritone saxophone, Zoot Sims on tenor saxophone, Percy Heath on bass, and Connie Kay on drums. They were introduced by Newport Jazz Festival founder George Wein as 'The Miles Davis All-Stars'.
The unexpected brilliance of Miles' performance caught the jazz world and music critics completely off-guard. Columbia Records producer George Avakian was so impressed that he got Miles' a recording contract with Columbia Records and secured him with a $4,000 advance, which adjusted for inflation would be worth around $50k in 2026.
Just one problem, Miles' still owed Bob Weinstock’s indie jazz label Prestige Records four albums, so his new Columbia recordings were held until that contract ended, leading to his iconic label debut, 'Round About Midnight'.
To fulfill his Prestige contract Miles put together a group consisting of Red Garland on piano, Paul Chambers on bass, "Philly Joe" Jones on drums, and a not well known John Coltrane who was recommended to Miles by "Philly Joe". This lineup would go on to be known as the "First Great Quintet".
Miles Davis and his quintet entered Rudy Van Gelder’s studio for two intense marathon sessions in May and October 1956. There was little preparation beforehand. Miles treated both sessions as if he were playing a gig, calling out the song titles and counting in the band. They quickly went from one song to another without any fuss or second takes, and they recorded enough material for four albums.
These recordings were eventually sequenced by Bob Weinstock into four different albums:

"Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet" released in 1957
'Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet released in 1958
'Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet released in 1958
"Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet" released in 1959

"Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet" released in 1961

"Steamin' with the Miles Davis Quintet" released in 1961
This set also has a few tracks featuring Sonny Rollins, that would be released on the Prestige album, 'Collector's Items'.
The sound quality on this set is in a word: superlative, and is without doubt the best I've ever heard these recordings sound. It was mastered from the original analog tapes by Grammy-winner Paul Blakemore and restored using Plangent Processes (see below) alongside lacquers cut by Kevin Gray. The result is pristine audio clarity, vivid instrument presence, and a robust, warm low-end "thump".
The Plangent Process, an analog-to-digital audio transfer and restoration technology developed by Jamie Howarth, addresses tape transport speed errors like wow, flutter, and scrape flutter. It achieves this by capturing the ultrasonic bias tone recorded on the original magnetic tape and utilizing it as a timing reference to stabilize pitch and clarity.
I do have one minor quibble, this set is in chronological order. I would have much preferred them as the individual albums the way they were released, as the running order of "Cookin'", "Relaxin'", "Workin'", and "Steamin'" are entrenched in my psyche.
On June 19th, UPS delivered a box to the Button Factory containing promotional versions of the 4-LP, and the 3-CD box set. Also in the box was an envelope with card that read "With the compliments of Craft Recordings" (I have low friends in high places). In the envelope was also a card with a code to get the 24bit/192kHz digital album, which will be today's freeload. If Cookin', Relaxin', Workin', and Steamin' are deeply entrenched in your psyche, do what I did, and re-tag the files.
For the freeload, let's do another "Ask Babs". Ask me anything (tasteful), and I'll answer your questions.



Its great to see you (well, you get what I mean) back up and running with 2 good eyes. I have that box set too and its been on constant rotation the past month.
ReplyDeleteSo, inquiring minds want to know - any recording credits to your name?
Again, glad it all went well and that Newport was great (I went to Madrid for a Diana Krall concert, but it was canceled a few hours beforehand, but managed to go see pianist Abe Rabade that same night).
I do not have any recording credits.
DeleteGlad to hear that your cataract surgery went well and healing is underway..
ReplyDeleteMy question: What are your 10 desert-island discs in order of criticality?
At the risk of evading the question: if I took one hundred discs to a desert island, in two weeks I'd be kicking myself for not bringing "this or that" album.
DeleteI get that. Directing the same question at myself, I'd probably say something similar since I tend to luxuriate in having a vast digital library as well as about 20k vinyl discs.
DeleteBeing able to browse either physically or virtually such a library means that whatever my mood or the current earworm occupying my brain, I can find something that'll work with it.
And so much thanks for these essential Miles records. As with Bombshelter Slim, this quartet of LPs was a significant part of my jazz education. And like Mr. Slim, I think Red Garland was among the great pianists of his era and an ideal foil for Miles. I'm excited to get a crack at these new, improved LPs.
In the late 70s, I saw the Red Garland Trio (with Richard Davis and Roy Haynes), who at the time was promoting his recently released ‘Equinox’ album. In the middle of his set he improvised solo for around 20 minutes. Incredible creativity…
DeleteI'm having cataract surgery in a couple months. Did you get the mono or stereo lenses? If mono, for distance or near?
ReplyDeleteI had the Light Adjustable Lens (LAL), which is a multifocal lens, and will have another put in my right eye sometime in 2027.
DeleteI am green with envy, dearest Babs. You saw my favorite band, Angine de Poitrine. My question? How was it? I adore them. Bisous.
ReplyDeleteYou would have loved it.
DeleteThere's a link to their set down there somewhere.
DeleteMy question is ... why does the porridge bird lay its eggs in the air?
Because he has to!
DeleteThanks Babs, welcome home. Very glad to hear your procedure went well & you had a fantastic Newport Jazz Fest this year. A few years back, I inherited most of my mom's record collection, those Miles Prestige albums were among the many I now have. They are all in near mint condition, I play them all frequently. Cookin' is my favorite. I have many questions for you, but I'll need a bit of time to narrow it down to one. Great to have you back, thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteIf you have the system for it, the 24bit/192kHz files are pretty damn sweet.
DeleteWelcome back Babs. Glad to here surgery and the road trip went well. Let's all raise a glass to a (hopefully) bright future together.
ReplyDeleteI think the ultimate question for everyone/anyone is;
Who do you think you are?
Nobody all that special
DeleteGlad you are back! Great share!
ReplyDeleteFavourite car?
Mine is Jaguar, owned eleven of them so far...
~ Jon in California
Range Rover, I'm currently driving a 2022 SE P530.
DeleteMy father was a Jaguar guy
Welcome back, Babs. Are you using your eye drops religiously? BTW, Miles' 56 Prestiges are the reason I still listen to jazz in all its permutations... it was the 70s 2fers that indoctrinated me. Props to Red Garland!!
ReplyDeleteI am not a religious woman by anyone's standards. That said I am using the drops four times a day. The ophthalmologist gave me a checklist for the next four weeks.
DeleteRed Garland knew what he was doing.
Hello Babs, my question might be a bit strange. If your body and feelings were plants, what kind of bouquet would you be? Thanks for the answer. Have a lovely evening, best regards, Mike.
ReplyDeleteSunflowers.
DeleteOh man, we have sunflower fields in Andalusia. Very beautiful when they are in bloom (sunflower oil is a big business here).
DeleteNext weekend, I'm going to a sunflower maze, out in New Jersey.
DeleteWhat are some of your favorite books, fiction? Movies? I know there is more than 1 question, sorry. I'm curious because I know that music is a large part of your life, so do you also enjoy other types of entertainment? Oops, that's another. I'd better stop. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteFor books and poetry, I'm a Beat Generation gal.
DeleteI love movies, but I'm not a fan of special effects Sci-Fi and rom-coms, there are however exceptions.
I also enjoy going to plays.
The way my brain functions, I find Mathematics and science in general very entertaining.
Thanks Babs! I shoulda known Mathematics & science were forms of entertainment. Also shoulda figured Beat Generation.
DeleteThanks Babs
Excited about this; stuff my dad had that got lost somewhere along the way and I haven't heard in 50 years.
ReplyDeleteQuestions abide, almost always more interesting than the answers, though your answers are pretty fun. Here's one I was asked on my birthday a few months ago: if you could do it all again, would you?
You bet I would.
DeleteSame here...we're lucky to be able to say that, but I wouldn't change a thing!
Delete~ Jon
100%...
DeleteWe do the best with the hand we're dealt, and we learn from our mistakes. In my eye, thinking in terms of "shoulda, woulda, coulda" is counterproductive.
Deletehow were the meds?
ReplyDeleteThe twilight anesthesia was an interesting.situation.
DeleteIf you have seen the film "Gifted", any thought?
ReplyDeleteI haven't, but I'm told I should.
Deletemath geniuses
DeleteI didn't like 'A Beautiful Mind'.
DeleteHow to deal/guide a 7 years old.
DeleteWorkupload seems to be experiencing technical difficulties, so today I'm using SwissTransfer. Let me know how it works for you.
ReplyDeletePart 1
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/bf680a48-b15e-422c-bed8-2213aabf6aed
Part 2
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/1431b9ae-953d-465a-b2d5-89ffd7759285
Part 3
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/c4115bf2-e711-4515-9db6-68e57ad25fe4
Babs, do you listen to much classical music? If so, what are your favorite works?
ReplyDeleteGbrand
I’m a big fan of Frédéric Chopin’s compositions for solo piano. My favorites include Nocturne in E-flat major, Op. 9 No. 2, No. 1 in G minor, Fantaisie-Impromptu, Heroic Polonaise, and Tristesse Étude.
DeleteIf you would have asked me to guess your favorite classical composer, I wouldn't have guessed Chopin. I probably would have said Bartok. (I love both.)
DeleteI agree that the two Op. 9 Nocturnes are both incredible works.
Gbrand
Babs, I also have been AWOL for a while. I'm glad to hear that your surgery (and that of other commenters) went well.
ReplyDeleteMy question is if you have an update on Denise "The Grease". It seemed like she had a real scare a while back.
The Grease is doing fine. Today we're auditioning new audio equipment, for her.
DeleteSounds like a great time to me. What components are auditioned? Thanks Babs
DeleteGlad to see you on the other side of the 1st proceedure. How's the vision in that eye? I went from wearing glasses for 40+ years to not needing them all, 'cept for readers, which cost about 1/100th the money for Rx specs.
ReplyDeleteRight now my brain is still adjusting to the new lens, and light sources are very bright.
DeleteI do remember my need for sunglasses did increase, probably a good thing in any case.
DeleteCan I ask how you listen to these files?
ReplyDeleteMiles sounds piercing and unpleasant to me on the downloaded version here (4 GB??) but the Bandcamp version on line sounds better than any version I've heard of this before.
What am I doing wrong?
No idea.
DeleteSwissTransfer worked great. The Miles recordings sound SWEET!
ReplyDeleteMy question - months ago - you made a comment about your grandson going through your music collection (using some type of software(?) I had never heard of (I looked again, but couldn't find your comment) and compiling what you have. How is that project coming along?
Quick observation about Swisstransfer. Works pretty well with jdownloader now (it didn't to start with) and manually, if you run the downloads one after the other it works fine BUT if you begin to download all 3 files together or are downloading other files from elsewhere it gets pretty flakey and closes the download without flagging an error. It looks like its completed until you actually open the archive and discover its broken. When I did all 3 together two dropped out almost immediately one after 12mb and the other after 24mb and it was only because I checked there and then that it became apparent.
ReplyDeleteSo its not my favourite file storage site by any means. Itsuggests they haven't got particular large server storage base (not surprising for a start up) and if it becomes popular chances are the workload will overload it and it'll get really kranky before it gets better (if such problems arise and are addressed properly, that is).
Great news that the cataract liberation went well. I've been in NYC the last few weeks (I left on the 14th). I've can't deny I've thought (more like fantasized) about meeting you (and perhaps the Grease) while strolling through the Village and having a sip in some bar hearing more tales of your students years. My question is (assuming that somehow I would have recognized you) would you have accepted?
ReplyDelete