Tuesday, October 21, 2025

Mingus: The Lost Album From Ronnie Scott’s

 

'The Lost Album from Ronnie Scott’s' was released for Record Store Day on April 22, 2002 (the day after what would have been Charles 100th birthday), on the Resonance Records label, in conjunction with Jazz Workshop, Inc.  Resonance Records is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving the art and legacy of jazz.  Jazz Workshop, Inc. controls Charles’ publishing, merchandising, leasing etc.

So why was this album "lost" for some 50 years?

The setting and timing seemed perfect, and Columbia Records sent a mobile recording truck to the club to tape the group for two nights.  But in early 1973, while these recordings were in post-production, being prepared for release, Columbia’s president Clive Davis suddenly and unexpectedly dropped the contracts of Charles Mingus, Bill Evans, Ornette Coleman and Keith Jarrett; its entire jazz roster except for Miles Davis.  For fans of irony, shortly thereafter, Clive Davis himself was fired by Columbia Records, and the tapes were returned to Jazz Workshop Inc.


'Mingus – The Lost Album From Ronnie Scott’s' was recorded on August 14th and15th1972 during the final leg of Charles' European tour.  It spotlights Charles in a sextet setting, featuring Bobby Jones on tenor saxophone, Charles McPherson on Alto Saxophone, Jon Faddis on trumpet, John Foster on piano, and Roy Brooks on drums.  They absolutely cook through the nine tunes (two-and-a-half hours) on this package, culled from the two nights of performances, demonstrating their command of Mingus’s compositions.

These recordings capture the lively club atmosphere of the Mingus sextet, thanks to the original CBS engineers in the recording truck and the sound restoration from an eight-track recording by Fran Gala, George Klabin.  The result is an astonishing sound with a beautifully balanced stereo image.

This 3-CD set also includes an extensive 64-page booklet (included in the freeload) with rare photos from Jan Persson, Christian Rose, Jean-Pierre Leloir, Hans Harzheim and others; essay by British jazz author Brian Priestley, who saw the band during this run and conducted an interview with Mingus at the time; new interviews with Charles McPherson, Mingus' friend and author Fran Lebowitz, plus bass icons Eddie Gomez and Christian McBride.


Mingus: The Lost Album From Ronnie Scott’s is as good a live jazz record as you will ever hear.

For the freeload, share some stories about things you lost but later found.

20 comments:

  1. Winter 74, I had sold circus tickets over the phone in Portland Oregon, ahead of the arrival of the circus. The crew running the phone banks headed down to San Francisco to setup phone sales for the circus stop there. Seemed like the perfect time head on down. Sales went a little better i San Fran, but i had left my girlfriend behind. I thought I'd hitch a ride up for the weekend, and got rides till i was somewhere outside of Ashland Oregon, a VW busfull of folk turned off the road and i hopped out, eager to continue on. Unfortunately, i'd left my Washburn acoustic guitar in the back of the bus. First I waited, hoping for a miracle. Then I walked a couple of miles into whatever town i was near and found the sheriff's office. They told me "these hills are full of communes, you're never going to find them." Outside the office, i swear i sat on the curb and cried, till the vw bus pulled up and "tah dah!" What once was lost . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It happens on a regular basis that I lose my mind, but for better and worse, it always returns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She. It is still dificult to say. She, I found her, lost her, found her again, lost her again, and when we finally did come together it lasted a few months till she was too ill.... and I lost again

    ReplyDelete
  4. My damn mind. Lost it 2006. Don't believe I found it again until around 2013 (some will argue its still MIA).

    ReplyDelete
  5. so great to have you back! all the best as always!!!
    huey

    ReplyDelete
  6. ANON RF: Welcome back, Babs! Hoping all is copacetic. Tanx for the Mingus. Wrote a play about him back in the 80's.

    Long story shor: I lost a Swiss Army knife my father gave me one Christmas. Lost it at his funeral in 1995. Three years later in 1998, found it in the same church waiting-room, tucked down (like loose change) behind the same sofa cushion where I'd sat, but this time it was my mum's funeral. Almost implausible but true. I just nervously jammed my fingers down the back of the sofa as I sat there, and there it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost her, she found me, I didn't want her anymore. Sometimes I feel guilty. Why does love have to be so sad. Oh well, "Black Rabbit" is on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Babs! Welcome home. Hoping that your recuperation is going great & that you are able to do whatever you like.
    I forgot that I lost a pocket knife until it showed up one day. It was a mother-of-pearl handled Gerber pocket knife given to me as a wedding present from my best man - Reno.
    I had a bathroom remodel in 2023 & while the guys tore apart the pantry/closet area, Vincent brought it downstairs. Missing for probably around 30 years. It's been in my pocket every day since it was found. Thanks Babs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better, but still not 100%.

      Delete
    2. Well, please continue to do what it takes for a full recovery. It seems like we are all beginning to understand "what a long strange trip it's been", in real time. We are so fortunate. You'll get there, have patience. Thanks Babs

      Delete
    3. I’m told I’ll be back in “fighting shape” in another week. Currently, my throat is very sore, and my neck hurts, from the partial thyroidectomy (my second in two years). Vicodin and gummies make things bearable. ‘Exile on Main St.’ sounds amazing, as does ‘Sticky Fingers’—LOL.

      Delete
    4. So glad you are on the mend! Might be a good time to read (or re-read) the book about the making of Exile. My guess is just reading about the copious amount of mind altering substances might help numb the pain.

      Delete
    5. EOMS is my favorite Rolling Stones album, just listened the other day. A new vinyl copy of the classic, sounds great. I gave you the diamonds You give me disease. What? Hang in there kiddo. Keep doin' what you're doin'. Thanks Babs

      Delete
    6. So happy to hear this! I hate to say this, but following the doctor's orders has been great for me. And what a way to return! Mingus. You take no prisoners...

      Delete
  9. We all lost you Babs, glad you are back and thanks for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Phantom Of The Rock OperaOctober 21, 2025 at 8:56 PM

    After a personal tragedy back in the day, I lost myself for the best part of a decade but I eventually found myself again and came back wiser and stronger for the experience.

    Other than that, pretty much daily I leave my walking stick somewhere, forget where I left it and have to go in search of where I put the damn thing down (even though I've only ventured a few yards from it at most) . It always turns up.

    I suppose, I could always train the dog to go fetch it but he's a bit skittish around it as it has a mind of its own and has the habit of toppling to the floor when left to its own devices occasionally in his direction. Well at least it keeps me on my toes I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My wife and I moved three months ago and still haven't finished unpacking, so we have the experience your asking about just about every day. We still haven't found our toaster yet, though.
    I'm very glad to see you back and hope that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/5Fekfj6BDFv

    ReplyDelete
  13. Several of these resonate with me, but I've got a silly/mundane but haunting loss to this day: my shot. I was a pretty good high school basketball player on a team where the other starters all went on to play college ball. One day my shot disappeared, never to be found again. A year or so later turned out I needed glasses and it probably had to do with that, but, damn, fam.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 10 Years ago I had my first TGA (Transglobal Amnesia attack) symptoms: for 24 hrs or more cannot make or recall a memory that lasts more than a few minutes. Constantly asking same question etc regardless of answer.Couple of days later allowed to go home and function.Large part of historical memory gone.Sense of taste and smell gone (still after 10 + years) then had another one same but not as serious. Today am well had other issues but as far as lost and found that's my party piece.so glad to hear from you Babs

    ReplyDelete