"The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band."
—Brian Eno
—Brian Eno
The Velvet Underground, with their innovative blend of avant-garde art rock with raw, experimental sounds, coupled with provocative and often taboo lyrical content, laid the groundwork for numerous subgenres and inspired countless artists across various musical movements. Despite their limited commercial success during their active years, they had a profound and lasting impact on music.
David Bowie, Kraftwerk, Patti Smith, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Talking Heads, Blondie, Television, Elvis Costello, U2, R.E.M, Joy Division, New Order, The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Bauhaus, Sonic Youth, Pixies, The Replacements, Jane's Addiction, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive, Nirvana, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, RHCP, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, Beck, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, The White Stripes, The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys, and many, many others were inspired by the Velvet Underground. The influence is so big & diverse, they've even been sampled by major hip hop artists.
'1969: The Velvet Underground Live With Lou Reed' will always be an essential album in the discography of a band short on albums. About half of the album is from the Matrix (owned and operated by Jefferson Airplane's Marty Balin) in San Francisco, CA; the other half is from End Of Cole Ave., in Dallas, TX. Those two sources are sometimes alternating from one song to the next as the album unfolds. Whoever compiled the original reels had impeccable taste. They made great song selections and sequenced them perfectly. The album is also roughly one third of their discography.
This album really shows their versatility, unlike their four studio albums, it maintains a consistent character. It has a rough and undoctored quality, reflecting an authentic live performance, yet it projects an intimacy and warmth that makes it highly enjoyable to listen to.
Not to slight John Cale, but I don’t miss him here at all. From what I’ve heard of Cale era live performances, I think the vibes here would have been considerably more uptight with John on the stage instead of Doug Yule. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the Doug Yule era was just as influential as the Cale era, particularly on 80s indie rock, if such things, of course, could be measured. That said, I wish the Cale era had been documented with a similarly good live recording.
I know quite a few diehard fans, who site this as their favorite Velvet Underground album.



Anon RF: "I hope that thing's not "loaded"...
ReplyDeleteWatch out what you wish for.
ReplyDeleteThanks Babs
Lou: I wanna bang on the bass all day.
ReplyDeleteThis was my first VU. I wore that vinyl out. Thank you.
Yikes - wrong reference, that's Todd.
DeleteLou: "Doug you're holding the bass wrong"
"How'd I ever end up with him in the band?"
ReplyDelete"Why did I ever give Cale the heave-ho? Where's my works?"
ReplyDeleteThis is "roughly one third of their discography?" I bought it as a "cut-out" while in college and didn't realize how big a slice I had! Older friend had the "...And Nico" album with the banana sticker unpeeled!
ReplyDeleteI never hated this, and do have some appreciation for the "rough and undoctored quality," plus there are some pretty fair songs. But it never grabbed me, and I'm sure I haven't played it in 20 years. Whereas I know I've head "Loaded" more than a few times in that span, even though I inherited that album rather than buying it.
I hope everyone enjoys the music, and the photo gives me flashbacks to the blog "Thoughts On The Dead." So, thanks for that!
D in California
So we didn’t sell many records, but everyone who bought one went out and started a band. On the other hand, Nickleback bought one.
ReplyDelete"Ok flash if you wanna play the bass upside down go for it. No doubt you'll be wanting to record the next album all by yourself"
ReplyDelete" Nico, call..."
ReplyDeleteI'm still listening to this version of "What's Going On"...
"Shit, he´s been dropping acid with Jean-Luc Ponty again"
ReplyDeleteBat
"Yeah, I look like Karloff but I can still do that hand thing like Lugosi, Doug." On a side note, when did Mo turn into one of the Campbell Soup kids?
ReplyDeleteThat's why Andy Warhol liked her...
Delete"Pull my finger, I dare ya"
ReplyDeleteGood mornin' Babs, it looks like it's not common in your blog but I still have a request. Can you please post stuff from the Vanilla Fudge, particular the first 5 albums. The "same", their first album, i found in good quality but the others are hard to find for me. As I said, it is only a polite request without any expectation of being fulfilled. Many thanks for your work, lots of great music and your effort. KIndly regards, Mike
ReplyDeleteLou thinks: "No! Not again... "
I'll do a Vanilla Fudge post at some point (September maybe), but I'm not sure if I have all the first five LPs
DeleteLink
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/eS2wH2YrKbw
Hi, Babs, many thanks for the Velvet Underground and
ReplyDeleteyour effort in advance regarding Vanilla Fudge. "Near The Beginning" and "Renaissance" would be nice. In my opinion and my taste, they are the best... Have a nice evening, kindly regards, Mike
Reed To Sterling Morrison: "When I said 'grab it by the neck', I wasn't talking about the bass guitar!
ReplyDelete"You break it and I'm not buying you a new one."
ReplyDeleteI had the pleasure of working back in the 1990s with Doug's daughter, Jennifer, who was an intern at the newspaper. I had taped a Bowie radio special where he told a story about meeting Doug Yule after a "Squeeze" era VU show....but thinking he was meeting Lou Reed. Jennifer was a big Bowie fan so I made her a copy...and she made a copy for her dad, who was "making cabinets back East."
No, no, Mo! Humping the guitar is just a saying!! Doug! Sterling! You're not helping here!!
ReplyDeleteC in California
Thanks for this nice upgrade! Might be my overall favorite as well.
ReplyDelete"I want you." Lou was omnisexual....love this album. Thank you!
ReplyDelete