This self-titled album, recorded for the Emarcy label, was released in 1954, and later reissued as 'Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown'
This album is a classic amongst classics. Seriously, this is one of the finest vocal records, you'll ever hear.
Play this late at night for your girlfriend or wife, husband or boyfriend, partner…whatever floats the boat. You can thank me later.
The freeload is from the Verve Acoustic Series. This is a 24-bit/96kHz vinyl rip, and it sounds pretty great. If you have the CD, this is a really nice upgrade. If you haven't heard this, check it out.
Play this late at night for your girlfriend or wife, husband or boyfriend, partner…whatever floats the boat. You can thank me later.
The freeload is from the Verve Acoustic Series. This is a 24-bit/96kHz vinyl rip, and it sounds pretty great. If you have the CD, this is a really nice upgrade. If you haven't heard this, check it out.
For the freeload, what are your favorite romantic songs and albums?



Ella's "Our Love is Here to Stay," The Flamingos "I Only Have Eyes For You," The Beatles "I've Just Seen a Face," Guy Clark's "Dublin Blues," Squeeze's "Tempted," "Why Do Fools Fall in Love."
ReplyDeleteand Sinatra's album "Wee Small Hours" is solid...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Have you ever heard Phil Roy's Weird Small Hours, which is sort of a modern take on the Sinatra classic? Really great singer/songwriter, who released about 3 lps (I think even his website now offers all of them for free), struggled mightily, married a doctor and then retired and became a house mom.
Deletewill check it out--Thanks!
Deleteeric - did you see the link to the 24bit/192kHz, version of 'Time Fades Away', I left yesterday?
DeleteI did not but, but THANK YOU!!!
DeleteEvery single track on the John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman record to me captures the essence of romanticism. Roland Kirk's meeting with Al Hibbler is another such occasion; Hibbler's world-worn voice the ideal foil to Rahsaan's horns and flute. Duke's "Do Nothing 'Til You Hear from Me" is a standout.
ReplyDeleteThanks for today's freeload, Babs. It has become cliche to talk about jazz singers offering a horn-like sensibility in their vocals. That was never truer than with Sassy.
I Only Have Eyes For You - The Flamingos
ReplyDeleteAnything - Frank Zappa/Ruben & The Jets
Thanks Babs
Been a long time fan of Joao Gilberto's Amoroso album. Just this week, I received a copy of the Speaker's Corner vinyl edition, and its so damn sublime. But, the Sarah lp that is the subject of today's post is its equal, at a minimum. Really looking forward to this one.
ReplyDeleteBossa nova is very romantic music, I guess that's why they invented it! The same goes for Cuban Boleros.
DeleteAny chance of a rip of 'Amoroso' , when you get a chance?
Let me see if I can borrow a converter from a friend. I sadly don't have one - but he does.
DeleteLady in Satin by Billie Holiday. When i first heard this album i did'nt like it. For some years i never played it, but then one i tried. Since then i am fan!
ReplyDeleteI love when music I didn't like or get at first, all of a sudden clicks.
DeleteThe Gershwin’s “Our Love is Here to Stay”. I’m partial to Joan Morris’ rendition with William Bolcom on the piano.
ReplyDeleteCole Porter’s “Night and Day”, especially as sung by Fred Astaire.
Harry Warren’s “ There will never be another you” - excellent version by Nat King Cole
George Gershwin’s “Bess, you is my woman now.”
Gbrand
June Christie's "Spring Can Really Hang you Up the Most." I get teary just thinking about it (the Pete Rugolo arrangement doesn't hurt either)
ReplyDeleteSmokey & The Miracles - You Really Got A Hold On Me
ReplyDeleteBeatles - And I Love Her
Paul Weller - You Do Something To Me
Various - My Funny Valentine
Minnie Riperton - Loving You
Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly
Diana Ross - All Of My Life
Stevie Wonder - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
Simon And Garfunkel - Kathy's Song
Bloodstone - Natural High
Otis Redding - These Arms of Mine
Temptations - My Girl
As for albums - Diana & Marvin (Ross & Gaye) comes to mind.
ReplyDeleteBjork - Come to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ10NHdU11Y
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/tXNDFQ5T5F6
"I love you (For sentimental reasons) by Nat King Cole does it for me.
ReplyDeleteBat
It appears that all (or most) of my favourite romantic songs have to do with heartbreak! What could be more romantic than that?
ReplyDeletedoes "You Broke My Heart, So I Busted Your Jaw" count?
ReplyDeleteIf it's romantic to you, then yes, it counts.
DeleteSince it seems romantic songs has turned into heartbreak songs, how about You're Breakin' My Heart by Harry Nilsson? It's always been close to my heart. Thanks Babs
ReplyDeleteI find Frank Sinatra good with romantic though when you want a woman's pov I'd listen to Roberta Flack's 'Killing Me Softly'.
ReplyDeleteBrian
Getz Gilberto
ReplyDeleteJohn Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Woman