Monday, December 30, 2024

The Who - 'Maximum As & Bs: The Complete Singles'

 


This is The Who's inaugural post here on 'Cuz Babs Sez, That's Why'.  Probably because I'm not the biggest Who fan.  While I really like early Who, there's something about most of their later albums that has never really clicked with me, and to be perfectly honest, I've never been sure why.  They just don't....

These days, I'll hear The Who in the supermarket or on an elevator (where so-called "Classic Rock" has gone to die), and I think to myself, "I should really listen to more Who albums".  But for the most part, when I do, I'm left thinking "Meh", especially from 'Tommy' onwards.
 

To make matters worse, my mother had all of the above hairstyles


'Maximum As & Bs: The Complete Singles' is a 5CD, 86-track collection from the Brunswick, Reaction, Track and Polydor labels which includes all and every hit, along with all the B-sides, many on CD for the first time, that were released in the U.K.

This has become my
"go to" Who listen, especially the first two CDs.

For the freeload, change my mind about Who albums from 'Tommy' onwards.

23 comments:

  1. Quadrophenia is a great album, story & listen. Loved it when I first heard it as a straight teenager and then later as a chemically amusement aid addled teenager. Really like it still. I think maybe it's best when consumed all at once, kinda like DSOTM or Robert Palmer's Sailin' Shoes/Hey Julia/Sneakin' Sally Thru The Alley all as 1 song. Of course, YMMV. Thanks Babs & Happy New Year's Eve Eve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's Next is way better than Tommy, IMHO. & I agree with mumbles on Quadrophenia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with notBob who agrees with mumbles that Quadrophenia is a great album that is best consumed in a single session. It's a movie with a story.

    Also while it's not a Who album per se, I have to put a plug in for PeteTownshend/Ronnie Lane's Rough Mix. One of my desert island picks cuz it sounds so unique to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Who were always there, my youth started with Live at Leeds, followed by Quadrophenia and even denser Who's Next.
    When I received my cancer diagnosis 13 years ago and thought about how to cope, the Quadrophenia line came to mind: "What is it, I'll take it..."
    No, I haven't heard much of The Who in this millennium, but they're still in my ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you Babs. Although I purchased Tommy, Live At Leeds and Who's Next when they came out, I almost never go back to them. My go-to Who album is and always has been Sell Out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a guy on YouTube called Ant Man Bee who's done a demix/remix of Sell Out (amongst others) - worth checking out his site and available in flac.

      Delete
    2. If you like 'Sell Out', you'll love the 5CD super deluxe edition.
      https://workupload.com/file/ENWH4Z62XVG

      Delete
  6. Sell Out is their best early work, but Babs asked for post-Tommy stuff. Odds & Sods is an interesting collection.
    For those that don't like the Who, try Pete Townshend's Scoop--
    solo "demos" with less theatrics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always enjoyed Who's Next & the associated Lifehouse tracks.Have to agree with mumbles about Quadrophenia - to me it's cinematic and needs to be heard in one hit.Even By Numbers has it's charms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who's Next has no weak songs and a couple of really great songs.

    (OBG who can't log in...thanks Google)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The original issue of Live at Leeds remains one of the finest live rock albums ever. Tommy had its moments, Quadrophenia had better songs, and Who's Next is probably their best studio album. And, be sure to check out Petra Haden's overdubby acapella version of Sell Out. As for the post-Moon band, meh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phantom Of The Rock OperaDecember 30, 2024 at 11:09 PM

      There's only been 4 Who studio albums in the 46 years since Moon died

      Delete
  10. Phantom Of The Rock OperaDecember 31, 2024 at 12:26 AM

    I'm surprised Babs includes Who's Next amongst the albums she's overlooks as it is probably Townsend 's finest and includes 3 of his greatest songs (Won't Fooled Again, Baba O' Riley and Behind Blue Eyes) all of which regularly feature in the Who's live show even now. it was also their breakthrough album in the US as well.

    Talking of which Live At Leeds is a fine album with that 15 minute plus version of My Generation/Tommy excerpts (you'll not get that on a singles comp) albeit I still think I prefer their Isle Of Wight set from the same year to the Leeds set. Whatever in 1970 the Who were at their greatest live around that time.

    As for Tommy and Quadrophenia its important to remember they are concept albums that have both led to films of the same name. As such I don't think you can get the full experience of what Townshend was getting at without watching those films especially Tommy. Oh and if you think Tina Turner is wild as the Acid Queen check out Patti Labelle's live version backed by the Who (on YT). Its out of this world.

    That said I do think some of the tracks on Quadrophenia could have been shorter and perhaps could have emphasised the 60's revisited feel more in their production. That said whatever you think of it Quadrophenia is the concept album that in part inspired the mod revival and dozens since and has probably ensured that mod will be the most enduring youth culture of them all.

    Beyond that it does start going down hill not least because of the friction within the band and the decline in Keith Moon's health and the only track really worth listening out of all those on Who By Numbers and Who Are You is the title track on the latter. I'm not even a fan of 'Squeeze box' really. It's OK but I'd not miss it if it were left off a Who singles comp..

    So Babs I'd suggest you should revisit Tommy, Quadrophenia, Live At Leeds and most of all Who's Next because to me they represent Townshend at the height of his powers as a fully accomplished writer and check out the films (again) as well.

    Now as I haven't said it before I hope you had a marvellous Christmas with your family have an excellent new year. Thanks for all the goodies and for all the questions even the ones I haven't answered. They make the act of downloading far more interesting and hopefully there will be many more this coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't say I dislike them, but never a huge fan, and haven't listened to them in years. Did see them in concert once, around '75, I believe. So, not enough conviction on my part to persuade anyone, but if you are going to give them a good try, Who's Next would probably be the place to start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw them for the last time in '82. They got smoked by The Clash, who were the opening act.

      Delete
    2. WHY would The Who let The Clash open for them?! Those guys would not only smoke The Who, they would kick over their amps and steal their brunch while they were at it!

      That said, I saw The Who at Drew University in 1967 (The Who Sell Out tour) when they had decided to stop destroying their equipment, which was an anticipated disappointment.

      So they start up with their final song, My Generation. Townshed has switched to a shitty-looking guitar, which got my hopes up for a little mayhem. In the furious finale, two wondrous things happened: 1) Townshend picked up his Gibson SG and proceeded to smash both guitars together over his head until they were sticks and wires; and 2) Keith Moon picked up his floor tom and hurled it into the audience, potentially killing several insufficiently agile punters with one blow.

      Whadda nite! (as they say)

      Happy New Year and thanks for all the great vibes!!

      Delete
  12. Happy New Year, My Friends!

    Link 1
    https://workupload.com/file/yZsJ5pKpmSe

    Link 2
    https://workupload.com/file/9uCAseKayEX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bonus Links



    The Who - Live At Leeds Deluxe Edition 24Bit-96kHz version

.
    This is the 2022 release, and better than the 1995 or 2001 CDs
    • All tracks are in the actual concert order.
    • The Tommy tracks sound far better than they do on the 2001 CD.
    • The modern overdubs from John and Roger present on the 1995 and 2001 CDs are not present.
    • The effects added to the 1995 and 2001 CDs are not present (the "slapback" on Pete's guitar during Magic Bus, for example).

    

    Link 1
    
https://workupload.com/file/fUvWKAGxF4F

    Link 2

    https://workupload.com/file/jyGqXUUQVWu

    In a few weeks, I’ll post and critique ‘The Who - Who’s Next - Life House’ 10 CD set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Babs - I had the earlier release and had to 're-order' it myself. Happy New Year to you & your family.

      Delete
  14. Thanks Babs. Happy New Year's Eve to all. Here's a link to a high bit rate flac, vinyl rip of Quadrophenia. Enjoy. https://workupload.com/file/4gaQqBmUSJK
    Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not a huge fan, either, and I do like their early stuff (including High Numbers) best, but Who's Next is a high-water mark for them and rock in general; it's the only Who album I have besides Meaty Beaty and A Quick One. I also have bits here and there, mostly from Tommy and Quad, but even a number from 2004 called "A Real Good Looking Boy" (paying homage to Elvis).
    C in California
    C in California

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it was the very first time I went into "The Wherehouse" record store in the local shopping district, I bought an album off a huge stack, called "Who's Next." I didn't actually understand that they had just pissed on the plinth, which is mindblowingly-slow for a barely-teenaged boy. So, my objectivity is compromised, because I just luuuuv everything Who.
    The Internet is where minds are not changed. I'll just say that The Who were a band that successfully bridged some different paths that bands pursued: pop, prog, hard rock, and acoustic guitar rock. There's evidence on the albums you don't love so much, as well as "Sell Out" and what came before.
    Something that won't change your mind, and that (in true 21st Century fashion) has been over-exposed by recent releases is the "Lifehouse" rock opera that never quite was. Since I started with "Who's Next," the idea that there might be something better or more Pete-y behind it was tantalizing. Here was as good an explanation of the story as I ever found, even with reading the radio-play script and as much of Townshend's writings and interviews:
    https://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-who-lifehouse-upgrade.html
    Thanks, as ever, for the blog and all the effort that goes into it!
    D in California

    ReplyDelete