Sunday, September 27, 2026

Thelonious Monk - 'Straight, No Chaser'



'Straight, No Chaser' was recorded on January, 10th, 11th and 12th at Columbia Records 30th Street Studio "The Church" in New York City.  It was produced by Teo Macero, and released on March 20, 1967, on the Columbia Records label.

The album includes a beautifully lyrical version of "I Didn’t Know About You", the exploratory "Locomotive", and the iconic title piece, presented as a series of shifting, inventive variations.  "Straight, No Chaser" captures Monk at full expressive maturity before he withdrew from public performance.

Backing Monk are, Charlie Rouse on tenor saxophone, Larry Gales on bass, and Ben Riley on drums.  This is what many jazz fans including myself refer to as "The Telepathic Quartet
".

The deep musical chemistry between Monk and his long-time saxophone soulmate, Charlie Rouse is unreal as he effortlessly locks into the Monk's notoriously difficult changes.

As Monk puts it:
"Charlie isn't here to outshine me.  Charlie isn't here to spill his guts over sax.  Charlie isn't here to compete with blowers like Coltrane.  Charlie is here to play music, acknowledge sound, rhythm, silence.  On my terms.  I am Monk and this is the thing called Monkism. You won't find it anywhere else."
Tracklist
1. Locomotive
2. I Didn't Know About You
3. Straight, No Chaser
4. Japanese Folk Song
5. Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
6. We See
Bonus tracks not on the original release
7. This Is My Story, This Is My Song
8. I Didn't Know About You
9. Green Chimneys

The freeload is a 24bit rip of the 1999 SACD release, and it sounds sweet.

For the freeload, keeping in the spirit of 'Straight, No Chaser', what's your favorite alcoholic beverage?

31 comments:

  1. Tequila by far these days, but I did spend a year exclusively with double gin Martinis - dry, usually with a little zest of lemon peel.

    ~Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In college, I did the one-handed salt, shot, lime thing. It never ended well . . .

      Delete
    2. I get the sipping kind...even better in a wine glass to get your nose in it...

      Thanks for the Monk!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm not much of a drinker, but a Kingfisher beer makes a crisp complement to a fiery biryani. And a local pizzeria serves a deliciously thick and dark porter that works beautifully with their fine pizzas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ardbeg Corryvrecken
    That said, I haven't had any in years. It is pretty much unobtainium here in Ohio. I rarely drink, it's been more than 2 years since my last round. I still have about a 1/3 of a bottle of Ardbeg 10 & a partial bottle of Lagavulin. Maybe I'll try some tonight. Sippin' whiskey. Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, maybe I spoke too soon. Figures, that happens frequently around here. Anyway, I believe that I've located a bottle about 30 miles away. I also believe that I will make a trip & purchase this week. Completely worth it & sorry to have misled you. Thanks Babs

      Delete
    2. My husband was a big fan of Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

      Delete
  4. Bourbon on the rocks is my go-to, but I've been known to cheat with vodka & tequila (not mixed together!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Irish Whisky, especially Redbreast

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vino blanco, rosado o tinto. Used to be gin or tequila/mezcal, but the older I get, the more they don't come around here anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These days I mostly I drink wine. When I'm out, and if the choice of wine is slim, my go to is Tito's with club soda and lime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sadly, I haven't had a drop of bourbon since a certain individual imposed tariffs on your largest trading partner and closest ally, so I have to settle for a fine local hazy IPA. Hope springs eternal, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ANON RF: I go for Jameson's in all its varieties. If it was good enough for Samuel Beckett, it's good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANON RF: Also a fan of Writers Tears, for obvious reasons.

      Delete
  10. Good ol' gin and tonic...so you don't have to worry about getting malaria.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rarely if ever drink, though every now and then a nice after dinner shot of amaretto or kahlua is reliably nice if a little sweet. Ginja, a Portuguese sour cherry liqueur is fun; limoncello too.

    Growing up in BRLA we thought Jack Daniels or Southern Comfort was the height of sophistication, given we were mostly chugging Dixie beer (.99USD a six-pack) or Jax (a bit more).
    Living in Nicaragua I developed an affinity for rum (and cigars) and still enjoy a Flor de Caña & coke. Story some of you might find amusing: At the "hotel" I lived in in León at one point, there were some internationalist engineers who were working in the area. There were a pair of Italians, a Swede, a Canadian, and a coupla Cubans. One night I added a somewhat rare coke to my rum and called it a "Nica Libre," prompting a Nicaraguan to start razzing the Cubans about that was the better name than a "Cuba Libre" since the Cubans couldn't get "real" coke...tbh, he laid it on pretty thick, mentioned it several times. Finally one of the Cubans stood up to go and said, "well, por supuesto ("of course") you have real coke porque tal vez ("because, perhaps") you didn't have a real revolution" and walked off, leaving the Nicaraguans howling and the rest of us trying hard not to laugh too much. It was great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lager beer for me, and generally Heineken. I enjoy a glass or two of dry red wine when having a pasta meal, and rarely drink any spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lyons [Windon Distillery] in St. Michaels Maryland makes an overproof pineapple rum that’s exquisite. Very complicated flavor, a lot going on and every aspect devine, to my palate anyway.

    https://www.lyonrum.com/visit-the-distillery/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Link
    https://workupload.com/file/vPFKwDFcZyj

    ReplyDelete
  15. French wine of course especially South east

    ReplyDelete
  16. Monk is magical, and thank you in advance.
    I worked many years in an office of a retailer that sold beer and wine, and later, spirits. It was actually helpful for me to get out onto the floor on Friday afternoon and help customers pick a bottle, so I did a lot of professional development ;^)
    There's a very tasty "Belgian Style Abbey ale" named Brother Thelonius, from North Coast Brewing. I'm partial to porters, stouts, and Dubble-style ales, but I also like pilsner, pale ales and amber ales. There are far, far too many over-hopped IPAs around here ...but just yesterday I enjoyed one that was not over-anythinged (to my taste).
    California is, as advertised, a lovely place for a wine drinker. I'm pleased that I can still find less-usual varietal wines for almost-reasonable prices. Some of my favorites have been Chenin Blanc, Grenache, Albarino, or Zinfandel - although I've also loved my share of Vigonier, Cabernet Sauvignon or Franc, and Chardonnay. Dry sparkling wine is also a favorite.
    Once a year, I'll invest in a bottle of spirits like Angel's Envy bourbon. Most of the time, I just try to find good value instead of something transcendent.
    Like most good things, I expect my imbibing will eventually come to an end, for health reasons. Until then, Sláinte to you and yours!
    D in California

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phantom Of The Rock OperaSeptember 29, 2026 at 12:07 AM

    Thanks Babs

    ReplyDelete