'Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall' was released on the Vee-Jay Records label in August 1961.
The "Blues at Carnegie Hall" concert in May 1961 was headlined by Jimmy Reed. Also on the bill was an all-star Blues lineup that included Big Maybelle, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Witherspoon, and Oscar Brown Jr. At the time Jimmy's singles "Big Boss Man" and "Bright Lights, Big City" were huge hits on Billboard's Hot 100 R&B chart, and in some markets, crossed over (with less success) to the Hot 100 Pop chart. Both songs were all over the black radio stations I was listening at the time, and explains why Jimmy was the show's headliner. That said, I'd bet that Muddy Waters was just as big as a draw for the concertgoers that night.
"Blues at Carnegie Hall" was a show I wanted to attend, especially to see "Muddy", but it just wasn't to be. At the time there were only two people in my life who could have made that happen, but they weren't around: My older brother, was in his freshman year at The United States Air Force Academy in Colorado. Denise "The Grease" was in Montauk, Long Island. In 1961 there was a "Mob" power struggle going on in New York, and "The Grease" and her mother were sent to Montauk out of harms way. The official story was that they were, "Visiting relatives in Miami". Denise "The Genius Grease" wrote me from Montauk, and on the return address section on the envelope, she included her first and last name as well as the address of the safehouse where she was staying. <sigh>. . . .
A few months later, I was record shopping in Manhattan, and saw 'Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall', which was a 2LP set. So I bought it, took it home, put in on my record player, and to my dismay, I discovered that it was not a live album!
Once I got over the fact that I had one of, if not the most deceptive album titles in the history of music, I realized I had 2 LPs of Jimmy Reed at his absolute best. To this day, this is the Jimmy Reed album I play the most.
The backstory to 'Jimmy Reed at Carnegie Hall' is that contractual and technical issues prevented the Vee-Jay label from recording the show. So Vee-Jay records label manager and producer Calvin Carter decided to recreate the show. Contrary to popular belief it was not recorded in an empty Carnegie Hall, but rather a few blocks away at Bell Sound Studios, with Jimmy Reed's touring backing band that consisted of William "Lefty" Bates on second guitar, Willie Dixon on bass, Earl Phillips on drums, and Mary Lee Reed on backing vocals – this was on the first LP. The second LP is a compilation of Jimmy's greatest hits, and adds the guitars of Eddie Taylor. Phil Upchurch, and Lonnie Brooks to the above musicians. It was later re-released as a single LP titled 'The Best of Jimmy Reed'.
Jimmy Reed, without doubt, is one of the most influential bluesmen of all time, and played a pivotal role in bridging the gap between traditional Chicago blues and the emergence of rock and roll. Because Jimmy's songs were deceptively easy to grasp on the surface (a few minutes to learn, but years to master), he became the ultimate training ground for aspiring guitarists. His distinctive sound laid the foundation for this musical evolution.
The freeload, is a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab "Original Master Recording" from their Ultradisc 24KT Gold CD, series, and sounds pretty sweet.
For the freeload, tell us about things you bought, that were not as advertised.


The (only) good thing about boarding at school was the 24-hour access to the other guys' records. Paul McPherson bought JR @ CH on the strength of the single I'd bought, second hand on spec, of Caress Me Baby/Baby What You Want Me To Do. In England it was only a single album, 13 tracks. Not really a con, the sleeve notes said it was a recreation.
ReplyDeleteNot so Bill Doggett's "3046 people danced til 4.a.m". The notes pretended it was live but it was mostly his singles with dubbed light applause. One track redeemed it, "Tom Cat", which was two takes of a riff, spliced together to make up the album time. brilliant solos by Butler and Scott.
Summer of 71 (or was it 72? no it was 71, I had already been listening to "Be A Brother") I bought a ticket to see Big Brother & the Holding Co. IT WASN'T THEM!!
ReplyDeleteAnother allegedly live record produced in the studio is Joe Tex's "Live and Lively," with its faked audience, but great performances and song lineup. Cannonball Adderley's "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy - Live at the Club" LP is another solid record with a faked setting that doesn't really impact its quality. In terms of other stuff that has failed to live up to expectations, I can think of countless cheap Chinese crap purchased on Amazon that failed, either initially or in the short run to do what it was supposed to.
ReplyDeleteAnd perhaps ultimately, it is the foundational myths of America and the rest of the world which I initially bought that I've come to realize are in fact largely nonsense.
Damn, fam. You're not wrong, but I wasn't expecting it...
DeleteAlmost every politician I voted for since 1970. There are very few exceptions.
ReplyDeleteI bought a pen knife, it wouldn't write.
ReplyDeleteI bought a cherry which had no stone.
DeleteA friend told me about the very big and wellknown country where he lives. People there thougt they voted a new president, but they got something very wrong.
ReplyDeleteAlmost every "As Seen on TV" product that has an infomercial.
ReplyDeleteWell, the 13th Floor Elevators "LIVE" album is an album of perfectly good studio outtakes, made slightly less attractive dubbing in a live audience between tracks...and over the beginning and ending of the tracks. SOOPERANNOYING.
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of Chinese crap, though.....back when the Beatles "MONO" box came out, there was a flood of cheap Chinese copies on EBAY. I knew what I was getting; I was under no illusion that the box I was paying $50 for was an authorized release. I was buying a "placeholder" until I could come up with the shekels for the real deal.
ReplyDeleteAnyway....the box was a well done fake. Unlike a lot of counterfeits, the printing was passable, not too blurry, no obvious "Sgt. Popper's" misspellings, the discs were perfect clones.
The problem was some knucklehead used the STEREO MIXES on the MONO counterfeit. They sounded great, by the way...but it completely missed the point.
Love the stories; thank you.
ReplyDeleteRolling Stones - Got Live If You Want It.
ReplyDeleteBought a Night Monocular for spotting creatures in the dark.Totally useless to focus or take photos
ReplyDeleteI was brought up with a lot of healthy skepticism around me, so I've rarely fallen for advertising or jacket copy. When I think of money wasted, it was always a "self-own."
ReplyDeleteI always wondered why "Europe 72" by the Grateful Dead sounded so excellent. Once the vault recordings of the individual shows became available, two explanations surfaced. First, it was a really, really good tour and everyone's throat stayed in good shape. And, second, they overdubed some vocals! See
https://deadessays.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-europe-72-overdubs-guest-post.html
Not such a great story compared to the above, but it's a really interesting essay, if you have an interest in the topic.
D in California
As a kid, I used to devour comic books, and read them cover to cover, including the ads. Was amazed that I could actually purchase x ray glasses for only $2 and also buy a miniature family of sea horses for $3. Yeah………
ReplyDelete