There are many albums I play back to back, they’re usually by the same artist, but sometimes by artists of the same subgenre, as is the case with today's freeloads, by The Marshall Tucker Band, and The Ozark Mountain Daredevils.
In 1973 both bands released their debut self-titled albums. Back then, when I bought a new album, I would make a cassette tape of it on my beloved Nakamichi 1000 Tri-Tracer, which was the first truly Hi-Fi cassette deck, leaving me with pristine albums. I used to use 90-minute cassettes, since most albums in 1973 were under 45 minutes, I could put a full album on each side. So I had The Marshall Tucker Band on one side, and The Ozark Mountain Daredevils on the other side. I guess I got used to hearing them together, by flipping the tape (auto-reverse was a few years away).
While both bands sound nothing like each other, they do have a similar vibe to them. Both albums were categorized as "Country Rock" but that doesn’t tell the whole story as there are many influences at play other than country music. If these two albums were released today, they would more than likely be classified as "Americana".
'The Marshall Tucker Band'
There was no member of the band named Marshall Tucker, they named themselves after a piano tuner. The songs "Take the Highway" and "Can't You See" were FM radio staples from the album.
'The Ozark Mountain Daredevils'
Many people only know the band from their biggest hit, 1975's "Jackie Blue", a song that sounds nothing like the band's usual sound. The FM staples from this 1973 album were "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" and "Chicken Train"
For the freeload, what are some of your favorite subgenres of music?



Acid Folk
ReplyDeleteAfrobeat
Jazz-Fusion
Folk Rock
Southern Soul
Whatever you call Talking Heads, The B-52s and Gang Of Four.
I have what we mathematicians refer to as a "Shitload" of Nigerian and Ghanian Afrobeat on vinyl, which I really should digitize and post here.
DeleteIn the meantime, I'll have a Talking Heads post with really sweet audio, in a few days.
LOVE the Heads!!
DeleteNico and Babs - have you guys listened to the comp entitled Black Soul of Peru? Its was curated by Byrne and its fantastic.
DeleteHeard his Susana Baca record/s
DeleteI was never quite sure what a subgenre was as everything used to be in a category called rock. But offhand I liked Country Rock, as I started with The Byrds, New Wave, as I was never into Punk, Folk Music and Psychedelia. I'm sure I have more. Prog Rock. Hard Rock. If you add Rock at the end it becomes a subgenre.
ReplyDeleteSurf Music.
DeleteLatin jazz, bossa nova, tropicale, fado.
ReplyDeleteRoots reggae, dub, nu blues, acid jazz, and probably some I can't think of right now
ReplyDeletemath rock, acid jazz, jazz fusion, prog rock.
ReplyDelete1920s jazz. Punk. New Orleans 1950s R&B. British Invasion. Madchester. Dub. Country & Western.
ReplyDeleteFripp-Eno Ambient, Carribean, Math Jazz ala Jizzue, New Wave, some jam bands, Ethiojazz. Thanks Babs. Glad you're on the mend.
ReplyDeleteIndie Rock, Art Rock (what I call eno & eno era Talking Heads for example), Psych Rock, Spiritual Jazz, Bop, Post-Bop, Punk, Bossa Nova, Acid Folk, Krautrock, Tropicalia, "Cosmic American Music" ... and lots more!
ReplyDeleteoh, Easy Listening & Exotica too!! and Jazz Vocals
Delete"Library" (aka Production) music from the 60s & 70s, Soul, Funk!
DeleteProto-Punk!! (MC5, Stooges, etc)
DeleteWell, if you've ever swung by my place, you know that it probably is...country rock!
ReplyDeleteThough really, anything you could label 'classic rock'. And Soul music. Dashes of (old school) hip hop, reggae, electronica, ambient. Some hard rock and heavy metal.
DeleteReally I could and would listen to everything except techno.
Soul Jazz, Lovers Rock, Afrobeat, Western Swing, Latin Jazz,
ReplyDeleteChimurenga, Township Jive, Rocksteady and anything else that sounds like it means it.
Link
ReplyDeletehttps://workupload.com/file/V7kjCjxE7tL
I don't know, maybe Alt-thrash-indie-stingband?
ReplyDeleteFreakbeat, Pop Psych, Garage Psych, Motown, Stax, Northern Soul, Acid Rock, Acid Folk, Mod Revival, Paisley Pop, Ska & Bluebeat, Philly, Doowop, Rockabilly, West Coast, Surf, Sunshine Pop, Glam Rock, Merseybeat, Brumbeat, Psychedelic Soul, Punk, Britpop.......
ReplyDeleteInteresting and correct(IMHO) to call Motown and Stax genres in and of themselves (see also Vanguard and Elektra).
Deletealt-country, hill country blues, Americana, cowpunk, psychobilly
ReplyDelete